Man found dead in Tahoe Donner
Sierra Sun staff reportsA man died mysteriously in the bathroom of a Tahoe Donner condominium Tuesday morning, setting off a search for toxic chemicals in the apartment.
At about 10 a.m. Tuesday, police received a call of a possible dead body, said Lt. Jeff Nichols of the Truckee police department.Three officers met the caller at the condo on Northwoods Boulevard. They were told that a man was on the floor of the bathroom with a gas mask next to his body.The man had not been identified by Tuesday evening. Nichols said that the body showed no apparent signs of trauma.
No note, or other evidence of suicide, was found at the scene, said Nichols, but police had not ruled out suicide as the cause of death. The California Department of Justice Lab Team from Sacramento was on the scene around 1 p.m. and entered the residence just after 2:30 p.m.They quickly determined that toxic chemicals were not present in dangerous amounts at the condo.
Seven people, including the three officers and an 11-year-old boy, had been checked for exposure to poisonous gases at the scene before the lab team showed up.They were then transported to Tahoe Forest Hospital, where they were treated and released in good condition, according to hospital spokeswoman Teri Smith.The two condo buildings were evacuated shortly after the discovery, but were expected to be opened back up to residents by 5 p.m. on Tuesday.The Truckee Police Department will be heading an investigation into the death.