Officials continue to monitor propane gas leaks in Soda Springs
SODA SPRINGS, Calif. andamp;#8212; Utility and emergency officials continued to monitor homes Monday in a neighborhood west of Truckee after multiple propane leaks sent flammable vapors into the air last week.According to a Monday release from the Truckee Fire Protection District, there have been no injuries or explosions from the leaks near the Serene Lakes subdivision in Soda Springs; however, as many as 450 homes in the area are without power due to power poles snapped by heavy snow.As of Monday, roughly 250 residents have had power turned back on, and PGandamp;E is hoping to restore power to all residences that are not affected by hazardous levels of propane gas by Wednesday morning.Placer County reports six known propane leaks in the area, caused by the heavy snowpack there placing high pressure on gas lines. The known leaks have occurred on the following streets: Palisade Road, Baxter Street, Spruce Road, Alpine Way and Tamarack Way.Robert Miller, a county spokesman, said Monday afternoon there is still no timeline to halt the flow of gasses.andamp;#8220;Until the snow starts to lighten this is going to go on for awhile,andamp;#8221; Miller said.In an effort to mitigate the hazards, a command post has been set up at Serene Lakes Fire Station 98 on 7300 Short Road. Serene Lakes County Water District has provided office space and a staging area for Truckee Fire and Placer County officials, as well as PGandamp;E, which has had as many as 75 people on scene at a time to help mitigate the power outages.According to Truckee Fire, residents in Serene Lakes who have lost their power but do not smell gas should notify PGandamp;E representative Dave Hinshaw at the command post, or by calling 800-743-5002; the residence will be added to the list of homes in need of reconnected power.However, if residents smell gas, they should leave the home immediately without turning on or off any light switches or power. Call 911 from outside the residence to report the gas odor and wait a safe distance away for emergency personnel to arrive. If a propane tank is dug out where residents can safely shut the gas off at the tank, they should do so, according to Truckee Fire.Digging operations will begin in an effort to stop the leaks, according to the press release, only after tests show safe non-explosive air levels.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STATELINE, Nev. — The United States Golf Association recently announced that Edgewood Tahoe Resort will host one of 109 local qualifying tournaments for the 2021 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines.