Officials issue voluntary evacuation of Serene Lakes after weekend cabin explosion
SODA SPRINGS, Calif. and#8212; Firefighters and emergency personnel have issued a voluntary evacuation order for homes in the Serene Lakes neighborhood west of Truckee after an unoccupied three-story cabin erupted in flames Friday, officials said.
Authorities have detected numerous propane leaks in the past few weeks in the area due to heavy snow loads in and around Soda Springs. According to a press release, the Placer County Sheriffand#8217;s Office and Truckee Fire Protection District issued the evacuation after a cabin located on Bales Road exploded at 10:19 p.m., destroying it and sending debris flying hundreds of feet.
No one was injured, officials said in the release. The site of the explosion had not been identified as having been propane-related; however, emergency crews had previously detected propane levels at an adjacent cabin. That leak had been mitigated, officials said.
The evacuation order was put in place due to the continuing discovery of propane leaks in the area. During the voluntary evacuation and#8212; a non-mandatory evacuation chosen by residents and#8212; the sheriffand#8217;s office will monitor the area on a 24-hour watch.
and#8220;Public safety officials are encouraging residents and property owners in the area to leave until the order is lifted,and#8221; the press release reads.
More than two dozen sites in the eastern end of Placer County have been affected by leaking propane since March, officials said, with the majority in the Serene Lakes area.
An incident command post has been set up in the area to deal with the increasing number of sites, the release states. Truckee Fire, along with the Placer County Sheriffand#8217;s Office and the offices of Environmental Health and Emergency Services, are continuing work on remediating the leaking propane. There is still no estimate when leaks will be contained.
An Evacuation Information Center opened Sunday in the Judah Lodge at the Sugar Bowl Ski Area. The center will remain open daily from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. or as long as needed. In addition, county staff will be available to respond to inquiries made to the Emergency Operations Center at 530-886-5310.
If residents smell gas, they should leave the home immediately without turning on or off any light switches or power. Call 911 from outside the residence to report the gas odor and wait a safe distance away for emergency personnel to arrive.
Look for more to this story at http://www.sierrasun.com as it develops.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
A minor injury was sustained by a driver on Highway 89 Monday morning, following losing control of a Subaru Outback along the highway and coming to rest in the Truckee River, authorities said.