Annual fall paddle on Donner Lake a warm affair
October 5, 2011
TRUCKEE, Calif. and#8212;-A group of longtime locals and friends launched their kayaks from the Tahoe Donner Beach on Donner Lake. Every year a group gets together for a final paddle of the season, a ritual of paddling over to the south side to check on the baby osprey, who have left the nest and the majestic Bald Eagle sitting guard on a tree top a little farther down the lake.
Then over to Jay and Paula Price’s to park the array of colorful kayaks and head to the new kitchen for breakfast. The group finishes up back at Tahoe Donner beach.
Some years the swan song has taken place in freezing cold temperatures and very rough water. This year it was a glorious day and kayaking can continue for weeks to come.
The group included Bobbi Specht, Debby Echenique, Julie Pratt, Marianne Porter, Kerry Kautz, Andy Sarouhan, Susan Adams and Erica Sarouhan.
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)