Annual Turkey Trot to benefit Auburn Ski Club Junior Nordic Team
November 2, 2010
TRUCKEE, Calif. and#8212; The idea of a fun race around Donner Lake was hatched back in 1976 by a small group of enthusiastic runners who wanted to make room for all the turkey and pies they were going to be eating in the weeks ahead. Thirty-four years later the Donner Lake Turkey Trot is a popular event attracting 200 runners from Reno, Sacramento and the Bay Area as well as many locals who enjoy the excuse to support the Auburn Ski Club and get out for a morning run/walk.
The Auburn Ski Club Junior Nordic Team organizes the race as a fundraiser and to get ready for the ski season. The main race starts 10:30 a.m. and the childrenand#8217;s mashed potato mile race at 10:15 a.m. at West End Beach, Donner Lake. Walkers may start anytime after registration opens at 9 a.m.-
The history calls for fun and funky and happens regardless of the weather. Auburn Ski Club has upgraded the timing and keeps the spirit of fun and families. Entry fees are kept low at just $15 for adults, $10 for 18 and under, $5 for mashed potato mile. Dogs welcome but must be on a leash and be well behaved around other dogs, please.
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)