Excellence in Education awards $19,790 in ‘mini’ grants
March 15, 2010
TRUCKEE – The Excellence in Education Foundation has awarded $19,790 in mini grants to teachers and classrooms throughout Tahoe Truckee Unified School District.
Mini grants were added to the Foundation’s giving program last year in response to a growing need in the district for classroom supplies. These mini grants allow individual teachers to apply for grants up to $400 and can include consumable items, which are not normally funded by the Foundation.
This year, the Foundation received 125 grant requests and was pleased to award funds to 67 applicants. Most grants provided for classroom materials including art supplies, science materials, food for culinary classes, and supplies for Living History Days. The Foundation also funded rock and mineral kits for elementary science, math enhancement tools, games for building motor-skills and digital cameras.
In addition to the $59,000 for district technology, the combined funding for fall grants and mini grants brings the total money awarded by Excellence in Education to $165,155 this school year.
For more information about Excellence in Education call (530) 550-7984 or visit http://www.ExinEd.org.
– The Tahoe Truckee Excellence in Education Foundation is a private, nonprofit organization that supports quality public education with the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. Each year the Foundation raises money and provides grants, resources and partnerships to benefit students, teachers and educational community as a whole.
Trending In: Opinion
- Truckee Town Council race too tight to call
- Work to be done: Nevada County economic model is unsustainable
- Churchill County defeats Truckee for 3A state championship (GALLERY)
- Council approval moves Grocery Outlet project forward in Truckee
- Truckee Town Council moves forward with McIver Dairy restoration