High Fives sponsors adaptive surf camp at San Clemente
August 17, 2012
TRUCKEE, Calif. and#8212; July 5-9, 2012 the High Fives Foundation took a group winter empowerment fund athletes to San Clemente, Calif. to learn the sport of adaptive surfing at San Onofre State Parkand#8217;s and#8220;Dog Patchand#8221; beach. Athletes Steve Wallace, Taylor Fiddyment, Landon McGauley, Danny Toumarkine and John Davis traveled with the Foundation and a media team to Southern California for their first ever Adaptive Surf Camp.
A consistent 3-6and#8217; swell delivered gorgeous sets of waves for the talented team to discover new muscle memory skills on Infinity Waveskis (sit down waveskis). With an all-star cast of adaptive surf community members on hand to show everyone the ropes, the three days spent on the water went by way too fast. The inaugural trip helped expand the reach of the Foundation by providing a new outlet for those who suffer a life-altering injury. Additionally the skills learned are transferable to winter action sports and will help in the recovery process of all involved in the great sport of adaptive surfing.
Thank you very much to the following people who lent their time, talents and equipment: Steve Boehne, Infinity Surfboard Co.; Kim Mcrae; Dan Moore; Mark Thornton; Mike Johnson, Chris Oberle and John Davis. Stay tuned for next yearand#8217;s camp!
Watch and share the High Fives Adaptive Surf Camp video and#8220;High Five the Waveand#8221; produced by Shreddy Times: vimeo.com/47615959
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges