Hundreds expected for Truckee River Day Sunday
October 11, 2007
Volunteers are still welcome at this Sunday’s 12th annual Truckee River Day.
Started with about 400 people in 1996, the annual event features a clean-up and restoration effort on the Truckee River and its tributaries.
In recent years, the Truckee River Watershed Council has overseen Truckee River Day, said the council’s Beth Christman.
This year, Christman said roughly 450 people have preregistered, but more can participate.
Sunday’s projects will include reseeding areas along the local river and streams, mulching, creating fish habitat on Prosser Creek below the dam, and decommissioning old roads that have been causing erosion, Christman said.
Local students will also be giving this year’s Truckee River Day a more artistic edge ” installing painted trout silhouettes along Trout Creek in downtown Truckee, Christman said.
Recommended Stories For You
Those who are interested can still register at http://www.truckeeriverday.org, or find out information on when and where to go Sunday if not preregistered.
Trending In: Opinion
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee
- Last of Tahoe’s downhill resorts set to open this week