Illustrator teaches tools of trade
February 27, 2008
Children’s book iIlustrator and Glenshire resident Karen Frances visited Glenshire Elementary school three times this week.
Frances gave presentations to fifth grade classes about the design and publishing of “The Secret of the Wizard’s Wand,” the book she recently illustrated for author Terry Lowey.
Using colorful poster board displays and samples of her papers, pencils, and erasers, Frances discussed her creative process. She took students through the stages of her work ” brainstorming through pencil sketches, final color shading and printing. Students had the opportunity to discuss the merits of the electric eraser and learned about blending colors to create new shades.
Frances visit correlated with a fifth grade class project in which each student authored, illustrated, and “published” their own book.
After the presentation students were offered the chance to present their completed masterpieces to Frances and ask questions about specific issues they faced in their own book design.
Trending In: Opinion
- Investigation continues on man found on Truckee railroad tracks
- Man with knife apprehended in possible Truckee stabbing
- Truckee Traffic Report: Westbound I-80, Route 89 lane closures
- Tahoe Housing Trouble Part 3: Local entities aim to crack Tahoe’s housing crunch
- El Dorado sheriff deputy shoots into car to free trapped bear in South Lake Tahoe (VIDEO)