Illustrator teaches tools of trade
February 27, 2008
Children’s book iIlustrator and Glenshire resident Karen Frances visited Glenshire Elementary school three times this week.
Frances gave presentations to fifth grade classes about the design and publishing of “The Secret of the Wizard’s Wand,” the book she recently illustrated for author Terry Lowey.
Using colorful poster board displays and samples of her papers, pencils, and erasers, Frances discussed her creative process. She took students through the stages of her work ” brainstorming through pencil sketches, final color shading and printing. Students had the opportunity to discuss the merits of the electric eraser and learned about blending colors to create new shades.
Frances visit correlated with a fifth grade class project in which each student authored, illustrated, and “published” their own book.
After the presentation students were offered the chance to present their completed masterpieces to Frances and ask questions about specific issues they faced in their own book design.
Trending In: Opinion
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener