Illustrator teaches tools of trade
February 27, 2008
Children’s book iIlustrator and Glenshire resident Karen Frances visited Glenshire Elementary school three times this week.
Frances gave presentations to fifth grade classes about the design and publishing of “The Secret of the Wizard’s Wand,” the book she recently illustrated for author Terry Lowey.
Using colorful poster board displays and samples of her papers, pencils, and erasers, Frances discussed her creative process. She took students through the stages of her work ” brainstorming through pencil sketches, final color shading and printing. Students had the opportunity to discuss the merits of the electric eraser and learned about blending colors to create new shades.
Frances visit correlated with a fifth grade class project in which each student authored, illustrated, and “published” their own book.
After the presentation students were offered the chance to present their completed masterpieces to Frances and ask questions about specific issues they faced in their own book design.
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges