Letter to the Editor: Are locals trashing Tahoe too?
October 8, 2014
This past Fourth of July, residents of Lake Tahoe bashed visitors for leaving behind thousands of pounds of trash. Very disgraceful to say the least.
Yet, most mornings on the Village Green, I find remnants from the previous day's soccer programs or weekend tournaments. I spent one morning walking my dog and picking up dozens of water bottles and food wrappers.
These programs teach skills and sportsmanship, and when I was younger playing on the same fields, our coaches and parents taught us to respect the greens and pick up our trash.
Maybe it is time to encourage our athletes to treat the fields and the environment with the same respect.
If we as year-round residents don't pick up after ourselves, we have no right to blame the visitors either.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)