Letter to the Editor: Are locals trashing Tahoe too?
October 8, 2014
This past Fourth of July, residents of Lake Tahoe bashed visitors for leaving behind thousands of pounds of trash. Very disgraceful to say the least.
Yet, most mornings on the Village Green, I find remnants from the previous day's soccer programs or weekend tournaments. I spent one morning walking my dog and picking up dozens of water bottles and food wrappers.
These programs teach skills and sportsmanship, and when I was younger playing on the same fields, our coaches and parents taught us to respect the greens and pick up our trash.
Maybe it is time to encourage our athletes to treat the fields and the environment with the same respect.
If we as year-round residents don't pick up after ourselves, we have no right to blame the visitors either.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Sugar Bowl athletes put freeride skills on display in season opener