Letter to the Editor: Assessing the quality of Tahoe Forest’s CEO
October 6, 2014
I attended the recent candidates night last week and found the questions asked for the hospital board were good. The candidates responses definitely showed clearly the two views on TFHD. However, probably the most interesting comments made by several of the candidates were about how the CEO being so "pro-physician."
The public needs to understand the implications of this mindset. A CEO in a hospital is very critical for developing a solid, working relationship with physicians using the facility. This means there must be respect between the CEO and physicians so that the myriad of issues facing the hospital's medical staff and patients can be properly addressed.
However, a very important and necessary role of the CEO is to balance the needs of patients with the care being delivered by the medical staff and the use of available resources. The CEO cannot simply allow the medical staff to do as it pleases, even if some will think of the CEO as a "good guy."
Currently, there is not unanimous agreement among physicians about the quality of this CEO. Though some physicians are supporting the CEO, many others are not. The public should ask why is there such a divide among the rather small medical community in this area?
Could this be caused by how TFHD has dealt with different physicians in trying to build an unneeded, large health system while ignoring basic public health needs?
Dr. Peter Forni
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)