Letter to the Editor: Can Donner Lake be shared safely?
August 5, 2014
Like many water skiers this season, we are relegated to Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe with the demise of Boca and Stampede reservoirs, sharing the lake with fisherman, swimmers, kayakers, stand-up paddlers and other boats.
Donner Lake's east/west orientation means boating in the early morning looks directly into the sun. Sharing the lake with so many swimmers and stand-up paddleboarders, I would encourage everyone to wear bright colors which can be seen from a distance.
We have encountered swimmers going across the lake in all black, and stand up paddleboarders in dark or camoflauge clothing. We all want to share this great resource, but we are concerned that very bad accident is waiting to happen.
Water sports rentals are very diligent with providing flotation devices — how about fluorescent vests? Our biggest worry is not invasive species, it is us.
Trending In: Opinion
- Storms return to Truckee-Tahoe this week
- Truckee man accused of raping teen
- Coming soon: a theater near you – Truckee Art Haus on track for downtown
- Truckee Donner Land Trust awarded more than $750,000 for forest health work
- Rally for Rasta Stevie: Tahoe community comes together to support self-described ski bum, emcee