Letter to the Editor: Candidate questions
October 24, 2008
Three western Nevada County energy-related nonprofits recently teamed up to ask some pressing questions of regional candidates. All five Truckee council candidates’ responses can be seen online at YubaNet’s Web site. Visit http://www.apple-nc.org to read more, and to get the link to the full set of candidate responses. Many thanks to all of the candidates for taking the time to address these pressing questions:
1) What adjustments have you and your family made in response to increasing energy costs that could be an example to the community?
2) If elected what will you implement to revitalize our local economy? Do you see opportunities in green jobs, energy conservation, and renewable energy? What programs would you initiate to support small business growth in this region?
3) Would you implement an incentive program to encourage government employees to suggest workable energy saving solutions?
4) Within your jurisdiction, how would you ensure new construction and remodels are built and tested to a higher energy efficiency standard?
5) Would you support the investigation of opportunities for conservation and local renewable energy generation, such as building efficiency audits and upgrades, purchase of fuel efficient vehicles, methane generation from the land fill and waste treatment plants; local bio-fuel generation; and solar thermal and/or electric on all government buildings/property?
Recommended Stories For You
6) As a potential leader in our community, how would you recommend citizens prepare for predicted increases in future energy prices?
7) What would you recommend to make our community more resilient to future energy uncertainty and reduce our dependence on imported fuel and goods?
8) Would you support the formation of a local Energy Solutions Task Force to study local vulnerabilities and solutions as a joint effort between local community groups and your council or board?
Trending In: Opinion
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Truckee-Tahoe resort community to add 16 new luxury homes in Old Greenwood
- A longer Legacy: Truckee council looks to expand trail
- Street repaving to begin in coming weeks
- VIDEO: Alpine coaster debuts at Tahoe’s Heavenly summer adventure park