Letter to the Editor: Embarrassed for Tahoe tourists over July 4 weekend
July 8, 2014
Dear Tahoe Tourists,
I just got back from a mountain bike ride, in which I rode the bike path from Squaw to Tahoe City to get back to my car on Sunday. I have to say, are you kidding me? Do you have any self respect? Where are your parents and how can you look at yourself in the mirror?
The trash was beyond anything that should be tolerated by anyone. There is no way all the rafts, bottles, Styrofoam coolers, etc., can be picked up. The beauty and health of the river and wildlife must be negatively impacted.
I get that there will be some collateral damage from overuse and partying. I've been dealing with that for 20 years, but come on. This is the headwater for a pristine mountain river that has been so disrespected, I say don't come back until you grow up and learn to respect yourselves and the environment.
The economy needs the money, but I for one don't think it is worth it. I'm embarrassed for tourists. Don't come to your and our nature and wreck it. The authorities need to make some examples of people by punishing this behavior severely.
The culture of tourists on the river needs to be dealt with because what I saw today was pathetic. What in the world is going on?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke