Letter to the Editor: Isn’t it ironic, don’t you think?
November 10, 2008
Unlike the famous song, this election has truly been full of irony. Here we are celebrating our first African American president, a historical and exciting event, talking about “how far we’ve come,” yet at the same time we’re supporting the same type of discrimination, only it’s against gay instead of black people. If Prop 8 isn’t about discrimination, can someone please tell me what it is about?
Similarly, California passes supported Proposition 2, yet Truckee doesn’t pass Measure U. What kind of life can a chicken have if it can’t fly?
Free the animals from their confined spaces, but continue to put our children in formaldehyde boxes and substandard facilities for 6 hours a day. I’d like to think that if everyone who “no” voted knew how badly the 50-year-old school needs to be updated, thought about how not every child is academic and those kids benefit from a school with vocational and athletic facilities and that tax dollars don’t pay for rebuilding school only bonds do.
Let me repeat that … tax dollars don’t pay for rebuilding schools, only bonds do. So if we don’t do it know, eventually we will have to. For now our children will have to deal and building costs increase.
Well at least we have our priorities in order Recreation Center costing tens of millions of dollars and this year Measure V.
Trending In: Opinion
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)