Letter to the Editor: IVGID should not be in business of running a business
August 13, 2014
IVGID trustees are elected by the registered voters of Incline Village. They should be representing the best interests of the residents of this community. IVGID should not be trying to run a for-profit enterprise, which is what they are proposing to do under the projected mega-million Diamond Peak Master Plan.
History tells us they are not very good at it. I know that Squaw Valley, Northstar, Heavenly Valley and Granlibakken have similar facilities, but those are all run by private equity firms, resort management companies or family owned businesses. If approved, this plan will create a Disneyland at Diamond Peak which will bring in even more people than we currently experience in the summer.
Most of us live here because of the small-town ambience, which we reluctantly relinquish to visitors in peak summer and winter seasons. I'm all for improving our existing facilities, but isn't this over the top? Is this really in the best interests of the residents?
Trending In: Opinion
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee (VIDEO)
- Old Tahoe City firehouse could get a makeover
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show