Letter to the Editor: Listen to the experts on bear trash
October 8, 2014
Chuck Otto's letter "Mandatory bear-proof not the answer" in last week's Bonanza criticized Trustee Jim Hammerel for attending a TRPA meeting in support of TRPA mandated basin wide bear resistant trash receptacles.
It should be noted that both officials from CA Fish and Wildlife, as well as the Director of the NV Department of Wildlife also attended that meeting to support this action.
While no one claims that there is any one solution, NDOW Director Wasley pointed out that having such an ordinance would reduce 95 percent of the current problems wildlife officials in NV handle with regards to bears.
It seems that Trustee Hammerel's position is shared by those in the state who are most expert on the issue. Perhaps the rest of us should listen.
Zephyr Cove, executive director of NoBearHuntNV
Trending In: Opinion
- Rolf Godon: Jessica Morse right choice to represent California’s 4th District
- Kevin Drake: Vote Mourelatos for North Tahoe PUD
- John Merryfield: A more compassionate world begins with you
- Steve Batie: Calling all compassionate, thoughtful and patriotic Republicans
- Law Review: Mandalay Bay sues shooting victims
- FiftyFifty celebrates production facility grand opening in Truckee
- Teen swims length of Lake Tahoe for charity
- Land requested by Incline Village General Improvement District dropped from Washoe County lands bill
- McClintock backs out of proposed Tahoe debate, cites endorsement of opponent by event organizer
- Colorado ultrarunners shatter Tahoe 200 course records