Letter to the Editor: Living next to a vacation home can be frustrating
August 21, 2013
Lynn and John Schiek have exposed what many of us who live in Tahoe have experienced over the years. Too many absentee landlords show complete disregard for the neighborhoods where the vacation rentals reside.
We have a couple of homes in our neighborhood where the owners rent to hordes of people who make all types of noise late into the night. We have repeatedly contacted the owners of these homes and their reactions range from ignoring our calls to suggesting we contact the Placer County Sheriff as though it is our responsibility to manage their unruly tenants.
I don't mean to imply all vacation renters are a problem as that is surely not the case. However, if you pile 10, 15 or more people into a house, as is often the case, the odds are it's not going to be a quiet affair. These landlords make money at the expense of the homeowners who live near the vacation rental.
There should be a way to hold landlords accountable when they allow and even encourage such behavior.
Trending In: Opinion
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Truckee-Tahoe resort community to add 16 new luxury homes in Old Greenwood
- A longer Legacy: Truckee council looks to expand trail
- VIDEO: Alpine coaster debuts at Tahoe’s Heavenly summer adventure park
- Street repaving to begin in coming weeks