Letter to the Editor: Support Measures E and U
October 24, 2014
Our schools are vital to the economic health of our community, so we hope you will support Measure E and Measure U. Supporting these measures is a highly worthwhile investment in our community to attract and retain families.
We have owned a home on Tahoe's West Shore for 15 years, we are raising an elementary school-age child, and we are excited about all the improvements to Truckee and Tahoe City. This includes the street-scape in Truckee, the commercial core improvements to Kings Beach and "smart" redevelopment projects that are in the works, from Truckee to the North Shore to the West Shore.
New businesses are opening throughout the Tahoe-Truckee area, existing ones are gaining more accolades, and we are being more widely recognized as a year-round recreation "destination" — thanks to a lot of hard work from "electeds," business and civic leaders and our residents.
As our economy rebounds, we also need to support and bolster our schools, a lynchpin for any economic development plan. Rural communities with vibrant, modern schools are more robust both economically and civically; help lead to more equality; and they support a stronger middle class. Technology improvements in schools are vital to keep pace with rapid change.
Please support Measure U in the Truckee area and Measure E in the Lakeside area. Thank you.
Shannon and Jeff Pelline
Recommended Stories For You
Tahoe City homeowner
Trending In: Opinion
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Proposed ice pavilion plans continue to solidify
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Finishing strong: Bellon surpasses 3K career passing yards; Wolverines close regular season with Sierra Bowl