Letter to the Editor: Vote Yes on Measure R
May 22, 2014
I urge all Truckee voters to vote Yes on Measure R. My wife and I recently moved to Truckee primarily because of all the great recreational opportunities in the area. We love the local trails and use them frequently.
We moved from Sacramento, where decades ago officials had the foresight to purchase land along the American River for public use as a Parkway.
Unfortunately, they failed to dedicate a source of funding to operate and maintain the Parkway. Every year when budgets are tight, the Parkway suffers. Long-term improvement projects are rarely undertaken.
Truckee can avoid this situation by voting yes on Measure R, which provides a 10-year funding source for Truckee's trails.
Measure R will also help connect Truckee's neighborhoods and reduce our reliance on cars. As we experience the effects of global warming, reducing car use is something we should all be striving for.
Finally, Measure R is a small amount of money (25 cents for every $100 purchase of taxable goods), that, cumulatively, will mean a lot for this community.
Recommended Stories For You
I feel certain that with Measure R's oversight committee, the money will be used for what we want most — new and improved trails!
Trending In: Opinion
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- UPDATE: Body found in Truckee River near Hwy 267 bypass bridge
- Yosemite National Park route closed after fatal fire
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe