Letter to the Editor: Votes ‘yes’ on measures E and U
October 2, 2014
There has been some concern expressed about the proposed school bonds (Measures E – lakeside and U – Truckee side) on the November ballot.
The trustees did not take the decision to place the bonds on the ballot lightly. After all, who likes taxes? This was not a matter of idle folly nor an opportunity to build the Taj Mahal(s), but rather a recognized need that we have several school sites which require major upgrade and renovation to assure delivery of 21st century learning programs.
Our community has been tremendously generous to the school district. Unfortunately, the state does not share the same values. Funding of this nature, which was historically underwritten by the State, is no longer available thus leaving local communities to fend for themselves. So here we are.
We pay fire taxes to protect life, limb and property. It's just that simple. We pay public safety taxes to protect life, limb and property. It's just that simple. We pay hospital taxes to protect life, limb and health. It's just that simple.
But we pay taxes to our public school system to assure our children are provided the absolute best tools and educational opportunities in the safest learning environments possible. As a community, it is our duty to prepare them as best we can for the day they leave the cocoon of K through 12th grade for the sometimes harsh real world. It's just that simple.
Perhaps it goes without saying, but the three foundational legs of a strong and vibrant community are education, public health and safety. A strong public school system contributes substantially to the economic and social fabric of its community, the state and ultimately, the nation.
Recommended Stories For You
We are the stewards of the seeds of our future. It's just that simple. Please vote yes on measures E and U.
Tahoe Vista, also a trustee on the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District board
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search