My Turn: Dear President Obama
November 24, 2008
I do not expect you to make the problems of our nation or our world go away.
I hope that you will, however, be courageous in facing the reality of what is going on.
I hope that you will trust the people of this country enough to communicate what you see.
I hope that you will respect the people of this country enough to hear how we see things.
I hope that you will be strong enough to stand beside us as we face reality together, face our fears together, and continue to move forward.
I hope that you will be careful of the temptation to ignore the really scary stuff ” the stuff that cannot be fixed with any one policy or decision or military action.
Recommended Stories For You
I hope you will be relentlessly vigilant of the inclination to focus on an ‘enemy’ group of people inside or outside of this country, instead of on the complex issues that pose the real threat to our well-being.
We need you to be there for us in this difficult time, not to pretend that everything is fine, but to see and admit that everything is not fine.
We need you to guide us to get the real lay of the land and to bring us together as we feel our way through.
We need you to demand that we use all of our creativity, ingenuity, intelligence, and perspective to find ways to be together with one another on this earth in a way that respects and sustains life.
Trending In: Opinion
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP