My Turn: Pick 3, spend $50, and save our local economy
December 17, 2009
One of the fastest spreading promotions in small business history is The 3/50 Project, created to build loyalty and increased revenue for local businesses. The concept is simple:
3: Think of three local businesses you’d really miss most if all of a sudden you found they were gone. Stop in and say hello. Pick up a little something. Your contribution is what keeps those businesses around.
50: Spend $50. It doesn’t have to be all in that one store. The idea is to commit $50 each month to local businesses, total.
68: For every $100 spent in independently owned stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures.
1: The number of people it takes to start the trend and#8212; you.
The 3/50 Project is becoming a regionwide, grassroots movement of citizens, businesses, and non-profits working together. The Truckee Donner Chamber of Commerce joins the North Lake Tahoe Chamber, the North Tahoe Business Association, the Truckee Downtown Merchants Association, Tahoe City Downtown Association, Incline Community Business Association in support of The 3/50 Project.
Recommended Stories For You
When we shop local, we invest in our community. Not only do we increase sales tax revenue that helps pay for roads and other infrastructure and services, but you support your friend, your neighbor, your community.
These businesses are the same ones that give and give to our nonprofit fundraisers. How many auctions have you been to this year where you have seen generous donations from our local businesses?
Together, small incremental changes in our spending habits can and will make a difference. Modest but important change will result in a larger share of our dollars staying in our region.
We know times are tight, and everyone needs to find ways to stretch their dollar. But as an example, if you buy your pet food down the hill, can you maybe buy one bag a month locally? Or say you buy your groceries elsewhere, can you buy them local once a month? Or say you buy gas down the hill, can you buy one tank a month up here? It isn’t spending $50 more dollars per month, but it is and#8220;shiftingand#8221; just $50 dollars that you already spend each month.
To find out more on The 3/50 Project, visit http://www.the350project.net. You’ll see they now have over 5,000 supporters listed. Or check out their Facebook page, with over 27,000 fans, or follow them on Twitter.
Don’t wait until that favorite store, business or restaurant is gone.
Act now! Pick 3. Spend $50. Which are your three?
Lynn Saunders is the president/CEO of the Truckee Donner Chamber of Commerce.
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges