Nextdoor, a private social network for neighborhoods, launches in Truckee
March 14, 2012
TRUCKEE, Calif. and#8212; The launch of Nextdoor (www.nextdoor.com) was announced in Truckee. Nextdoor is the first private social network for neighborhoods to foster neighbor-to-neighbor and community-wide communication. Starting now, Truckee residents can use Nextdoor to create private websites for their neighborhoods where they can get to know their neighbors, ask questions, and exchange advice and recommendations. Topics of discussion on Nextdoor are as varied as events, school activities, plumber and babysitter recommendations, disaster preparedness, recent crime activity, upcoming garage sales or even lost pets.
and#8220;We believe healthier and more engaged residents create a stronger community,and#8221; said Tony Lashbrook, town manager. and#8220;Nextdoor will help create a stronger and safer community that we call home.and#8221;
Nextdoor was specifically designed to make neighbors feel comfortable sharing information with one another to help build stronger communities and building stronger communities is a priority for the Town. All members must verify they live within the neighborhood. Information shared on Nextdoor is password- protected and cannot be accessed by those outside the neighborhood or found on Google or other search engines. In addition, Nextdoor never shares personal information with any third parties. Unlike an email lists or other online groups, neighbor posts are organized and archived for future reference.
and#8220;I am really excited to start using Nextdoor to get to know my neighbors,and#8221; said Ed Everett in Tahoe Donner. and#8220;I look forward to meeting some of my neighbors for the first time, and I hope it will make us more connected and an even better neighborhood.and#8221;
Those interested in joining their neighborhoodand#8217;s Nextdoor website can visit http://www.nextdoor.com and enter their address. If Nextdoor is available in their area, they can immediately sign up. If a Nextdoor website has not yet been established for their area, active and engaged neighbors are invited to apply to bring Nextdoor to their neighborhood.
and#8212; Submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search