Opinion: Beware, Vail Resorts will soon own Lake Tahoe
August 17, 2016
I moved to Tahoe way back in the early 1990s and I'm proud to consider myself an official ski bum, face rat and defender of all things Tahoe.
Sadly the secret is out, though, and the takeover has begun. Gone forever are the free ski days and $25 lift tickets (less than 10 years ago, Alpine Meadows had $39 lift tickets all season). But I digress.
In case you haven't heard, our ski lords at Vail Resorts just bought Whistler for $1 billion — that's with a "B." I fear our beloved Squaw Valley is next, and soon, every resort in and around Tahoe will be minions of Vail.
Mark my words, in less than five years we will see $150 day lift tickets. RIP, Tahoe ski competition.
Trending In: Opinion
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- West End Coffee and Tap plans moving forward in Truckee
- Law Review: Supreme Court ruling on eviction after foreclosure