Opinion: Don’t despair despite 2016 election results
November 16, 2016
The morning after Election Day, I received this message from my good friend Bruce Frischkoff, who lives in a tiny rural town in upstate New York. I share it with all for whom the Presidential election results were despairing:
"My response, as a progressive, to the election is simple: I choose joy. Joy in the struggle to combat climate change. Joy in the struggle to create a productive, sustainable economy that meets the needs of all. Joy in the struggle for social freedom, political equality, and economic fellowship. Joy in the struggle for truth and justice.
Decades ago, I.F. Stone, a great progressive journalist, said, 'The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you're going to lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins.'
Join the struggle. Now. Not in despair or worry but in joy. There is, as always, work to be done."
Trending In: Opinion
- Tahoe Mountain Club set to close in February
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- Vail Resorts gives $1.9M to Truckee, South Lake Tahoe nonprofits
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short