Opinion: Remembering Jack Downs
September 13, 2016
I was saddened and shocked to see the obituary about my friend Jack Downs in the 9-7-16 issue of the Sierra Sun.
Jack was a guy who liked to smile, hear or tell a good story or joke and have a good laugh. And his smile and laugh were contagious. The Dalai Lama defines a successful life as one where you make people smile or laugh, which to me pretty well describes Jack.
I will remember Jack, standing waist deep in the cool Truckee River at dusk after work, catching a fish, admiring its beauty and then releasing it back to the river.
At times like that, Jack was in heaven before he died. I believe that even the fish will miss his presence.
Trending In: Opinion
- Truckee Town Council approves Grocery Outlet
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Updated results still shows close race for Truckee Town Council
- ELECTION: Hetherington, Jones battle for second airport board seat