Opinion: Tahoe-Truckee locals just as much to blame as tourists for dog poop
November 1, 2016
I am reaching out about the story you guys ran on dog poop, "Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste," on Oct. 4.
I wholeheartedly disagree that tourists are to blame for dog poo that doesn't get picked up. I'm neither local nor tourist. My family owns a house on Donner Lake, and I have spent an obscene amount of one there for someone who doesn't live in Truckee.
I have bore witness to umpteen locals (yes, I know who is and who isn't) walking/hiking with dogs and don't pick up after them — in town, on trails, etc.
To suggest that tourists are to blame is just lunacy. That is only going to breed further resentment of tourists among locals. Both parties are guilty and both are responsible.
I also distinctly remember having similar thoughts when I read a lot of complaints post July 4 about all the trash that tourists left on beaches. Same thing — it's not just the tourists.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers