Opinion: Urge politicians to up funding for Alzheimer’s research
November 25, 2015
There are 39,000 families in Nevada who have a loved one living with Alzheimer's. I myself have several family members who were diagnosed with this disease: my sister, my mother-in-law, my uncle, cousin and numerous friends.
The disease is devastating to families, both emotionally and financially in many cases. This year, Medicaid costs for NV residents living with Alzheimer's will exceed $158 million.
Unfortunately, this amount is projected to grow to $303 million annually in the next 10 years. Please urge our Congressman, Mark Amodei (and all members of Congress), to increase funding for Alzheimer's research by at least $300 million annually in the next 10 years.
When they return to work next week, we hope that their attention to Alzheimer's will give Nevada families something to be thankful for this holiday season.
Trending In: Opinion
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Man killed walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 80
- Future of Gray’s Crossing development up in limbo
- Northstar California General Manager Nadia Guerriero on the move
- Truckee police arrest woman on assault, child cruelty charges