Opinion: Urge politicians to up funding for Alzheimer’s research
November 25, 2015
There are 39,000 families in Nevada who have a loved one living with Alzheimer's. I myself have several family members who were diagnosed with this disease: my sister, my mother-in-law, my uncle, cousin and numerous friends.
The disease is devastating to families, both emotionally and financially in many cases. This year, Medicaid costs for NV residents living with Alzheimer's will exceed $158 million.
Unfortunately, this amount is projected to grow to $303 million annually in the next 10 years. Please urge our Congressman, Mark Amodei (and all members of Congress), to increase funding for Alzheimer's research by at least $300 million annually in the next 10 years.
When they return to work next week, we hope that their attention to Alzheimer's will give Nevada families something to be thankful for this holiday season.
Trending In: Opinion
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Truckee bridge construction taking off in Tahoe City