Opinion: Urge politicians to up funding for Alzheimer’s research
November 25, 2015
There are 39,000 families in Nevada who have a loved one living with Alzheimer's. I myself have several family members who were diagnosed with this disease: my sister, my mother-in-law, my uncle, cousin and numerous friends.
The disease is devastating to families, both emotionally and financially in many cases. This year, Medicaid costs for NV residents living with Alzheimer's will exceed $158 million.
Unfortunately, this amount is projected to grow to $303 million annually in the next 10 years. Please urge our Congressman, Mark Amodei (and all members of Congress), to increase funding for Alzheimer's research by at least $300 million annually in the next 10 years.
When they return to work next week, we hope that their attention to Alzheimer's will give Nevada families something to be thankful for this holiday season.
Trending In: Opinion
- Investigation continues on man found on Truckee railroad tracks
- Man with knife apprehended in possible Truckee stabbing
- Truckee Traffic Report: Route 89 one-way operation; Westbound I-80 lane closure
- Tahoe Housing Trouble Part 3: Local entities aim to crack Tahoe’s housing crunch
- Wolverines make statement with win over Fernley