Opinion: We can’t have one more dead Lake Tahoe bear
June 20, 2016
Certainly I'm not the only one upset about the killing of a young bear in early June at Sand Harbor because it was determined to be a "nuisance."
These bears have been here thousands of years foraging for food. Of course they're going to be tempted by an easy meal, such as a cooler left out in the open. Bears and humans can live in harmony if we get bear smart. Other communities with many more bears have done it — educating residents about proper trash disposal, pet food left outside, and that even bird feeders can attract bears.
Popular tourist destinations should have signage, and maybe even people should be fined for leaving food accessible. I'm not any kind of wildlife expert or activist, but would be willing to volunteer my time if we could save the bears.
Trending In: Opinion
- Council approval moves Grocery Outlet project forward in Truckee
- Lake Tahoe-area resorts announce Friday as 2018-19 season opener
- Truckee’s Wolverines to face Greenwave for state championship
- Churchill County defeats Truckee for 3A state championship (GALLERY)
- Local business spearheading effort to help Camp Fire evacuees, first responders