Readers write: Swatting fires
July 15, 2008
Lately in the media there’s been a lot of tut-tutting about those selfish, foolish, and irresponsible Big Sur homeowners ignoring evacuation orders to stay behind and defend their homes. In fact, that’s the standard official and media position regarding every California-Nevada wildfire.
Guess what, in the land down under, which has an equally serious wildfire problem, the powers-that-be have decided that in most cases it’s better strategy to support homeowners staying behind and swatting out the spot fires. They even publish “The Homeowner’s Bush Fire Survival Manual” advising homeowners on protective clothing and the like. A copy is available at http://tinyurl.com/bushfire. Not only does it contain detailed advice not found in U.S. wildfire literature for civilians, it’s also interesting how much less nannyish disaster management is elsewhere than here in the land of the free and home of the brave.
Trending In: Opinion
- Storms return to Truckee-Tahoe this week
- Truckee man accused of raping teen
- Coming soon: a theater near you – Truckee Art Haus on track for downtown
- Rally for Rasta Stevie: Tahoe community comes together to support self-described ski bum, emcee
- Truckee Donner Land Trust awarded more than $750,000 for forest health work