Ride of the Week: 28-foot 1935 GarWood
August 2, 2006
Patrick Bagan of the Sierra Boat Company
It’s a Washoe Indian name that means owl.
It has a Modern 427 installed 20 years ago.
The boat belongs to John Metcalf and he passed it on to his nephew Brock Metcalf.
It has lived its entire life in Tahoe at the Metcalf home in Rubicon. It was a racing boat in the early ’50s at the Tahoe Yacht Club. It won several races in its class during that time. It was bought new in 1935 and passed down through generations in the Metcalf family.
It goes out on the lake from Aug. 1 to Sept. 1 daily by the Metcalfs.
Recommended Stories For You
It must be kept covered throughout the year and needs to be taken to the “beauty shop” every five to six years.
It will not be shown in the boat show because Brock would rather use it on the lake that week and enjoy it [rather] than tie it up for viewing.
The Sun’s Ryan Salm interviewed Reimel for “Ride of the Week.” Please send suggestions for “Ride of the Week” to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject “Ride of the Week.”
Trending In: Opinion
- UPDATE: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits