Sierra Expeditionary Learning School to begin enrollment
March 13, 2012
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. and#8212; Sierra Expeditionary Learning School (SELS) will host a series of information meetings for families interested in learning more about the school and the Expeditionary Learning model. SELSand#8217;s public lottery to determine enrollment will be held April 17, 2012. Attending an information session about the school is a prerequisite for applying.
Informational meetings will be held at 11603 Donner Pass Road, (Sierra Mountain Community Education Center), portable buildings unless otherwise noted.
SELS information dates
Check out SELS Wednesday, March 21, kindergarten, 6 p.m.; Thursday, March 22, middle school, 6 p.m.; Saturday, March 24, kindergarten-seventh grade, 10 a.m.; Saturday, March 24, Spanish only, kindergarten-seventh grade, 7:15 p.m., Assumption Catholic Church, Latino mass, 10930 Alder Drive; Wednesday, March 28, kindergarten-seventh grade, 6 p.m., Family Resource Center, 11695 Donner Pass Road, Truckee; Tuesday, April 10, kindergarten-seventh grade, 6 p.m. Sierra Expeditionary Learning School.
SELS is a public charter school within the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District, currently serving grades kindergarten through sixth grade, expanding to include seventh grade for the 2012/2013 school year and to eighth grade in 2013/2014. SELS is centrally located in the portables outside of the Sierra Mountain Community Education Center.
Because of SELSand#8217; growth plan and students currently enrolled, the majority of spaces available for new students for the 2012/2013 school year will be in kindergarten, third and sixth grades.
Recommended Stories For You
As an expeditionary learning school, SELS students engage in service, conduct fieldwork with experts and dig deeply into authentic projects. SELSand#8217; learning expeditions and#8212; long term, in-depth investigations of compelling topics based on state standards and#8212; immerse students in rigorous, relevant, place-based learning. SELS also celebrates diversity and has a strong focus on character development.
The expeditionary learning model adheres to Tahoe Truckee Unified School District and California state standards. Developed by Outward Bound and Harvard University, the expeditionary learning model has been credited with improving test scores and increasing student motivation and achievement with a 18-year track record of success in schools nationwide.
For additional information visit http://www.TruckeeCharterSchool.org.
and#8212; Submitted to email@example.com
Trending In: Opinion
- Rolf Godon: Jessica Morse right choice to represent California’s 4th District
- Kevin Drake: Vote Mourelatos for North Tahoe PUD
- John Merryfield: A more compassionate world begins with you
- Steve Batie: Calling all compassionate, thoughtful and patriotic Republicans
- Law Review: Mandalay Bay sues shooting victims
- FiftyFifty celebrates production facility grand opening in Truckee
- Teen swims length of Lake Tahoe for charity
- Land requested by Incline Village General Improvement District dropped from Washoe County lands bill
- McClintock backs out of proposed Tahoe debate, cites endorsement of opponent by event organizer
- Colorado ultrarunners shatter Tahoe 200 course records