Special guest helps Girl Scouts earn ‘simple meals’ badge
December 11, 2012
TRUCKEE, Calif. – The lucky girls in Junior Girl Scout Troop 116 were treated to an amazing culinary experience on Oct. 7 when a very special guest attended their meeting. Elsa Corrigan, owner and executive chef of Mamasake, joined the girls to help them earn their “Simple Meals” badge.
Elsa discussed the importance of a healthy, nutritious diet and showed the girls examples of food pyramids from our country, as well as those for other places, such as Japan, all with an emphasis of fruits, vegetables, and healthy carbohydrates. She also talked with the girls about food safety and the importance of sanitation at home and in the restaurant. Under Elsa’s direction, the troop learned basic knife skills and were able to prepare two delicious recipes, Cornish pasties and a grape nut custard dessert.
The meal was enjoyed by all, and was a great way for the girls to celebrate their newly acquired cooking skills and knowledge. Troop 116 is grateful to Elsa for sharing her experience and expertise.
Trending In: Opinion
- Sun Snapshots: Northstar ice rink covered in snow
- Old Trestle launches Truckee’s first distillery in 100 years
- Truckee Donner Land Trust, Squaw Valley Public Service District to buy piece of Olympic Valley
- Winter storm warning in effect for Truckee-Tahoe area
- News Briefs: South Lake Tahoe man accused of killing roommate with piece of firewood