Special guest helps Girl Scouts earn ‘simple meals’ badge
December 11, 2012
TRUCKEE, Calif. – The lucky girls in Junior Girl Scout Troop 116 were treated to an amazing culinary experience on Oct. 7 when a very special guest attended their meeting. Elsa Corrigan, owner and executive chef of Mamasake, joined the girls to help them earn their “Simple Meals” badge.
Elsa discussed the importance of a healthy, nutritious diet and showed the girls examples of food pyramids from our country, as well as those for other places, such as Japan, all with an emphasis of fruits, vegetables, and healthy carbohydrates. She also talked with the girls about food safety and the importance of sanitation at home and in the restaurant. Under Elsa’s direction, the troop learned basic knife skills and were able to prepare two delicious recipes, Cornish pasties and a grape nut custard dessert.
The meal was enjoyed by all, and was a great way for the girls to celebrate their newly acquired cooking skills and knowledge. Troop 116 is grateful to Elsa for sharing her experience and expertise.
Trending In: Opinion
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Law Review: New laws for 2019 (Round 1)
- Why should we care about America’s homeless problem?
- Law Review: Heavenly Resort liable for runaway rescue sled?
- North Lake Tahoe Historical Society names Marguerite Sprague as executive director