Special guest helps Girl Scouts earn ‘simple meals’ badge
December 11, 2012
TRUCKEE, Calif. – The lucky girls in Junior Girl Scout Troop 116 were treated to an amazing culinary experience on Oct. 7 when a very special guest attended their meeting. Elsa Corrigan, owner and executive chef of Mamasake, joined the girls to help them earn their “Simple Meals” badge.
Elsa discussed the importance of a healthy, nutritious diet and showed the girls examples of food pyramids from our country, as well as those for other places, such as Japan, all with an emphasis of fruits, vegetables, and healthy carbohydrates. She also talked with the girls about food safety and the importance of sanitation at home and in the restaurant. Under Elsa’s direction, the troop learned basic knife skills and were able to prepare two delicious recipes, Cornish pasties and a grape nut custard dessert.
The meal was enjoyed by all, and was a great way for the girls to celebrate their newly acquired cooking skills and knowledge. Troop 116 is grateful to Elsa for sharing her experience and expertise.
Trending In: Opinion
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Man killed walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 80
- Future of Gray’s Crossing development up in limbo
- Northstar California General Manager Nadia Guerriero on the move
- Truckee police arrest woman on assault, child cruelty charges