St. Patrick’s Day Recipe | Ruben-esque Casserole
March 16, 2012
I know. The correct spelling for the sandwich, often associated with St. Paddy’s Day leftovers, is R-e-u-b-e-n, supposedly named after the man behind the celebrated (now defunct) Reuben’s Deli in New York City, circa 1914.
I beg to differ. I think the sandwich was named after the famous 17th-century Belgian artist Peter Paul Rubens who, like it or not, coined the phrase Rubenesque, meaning plump women.
First of all, I dabbled in art history and I have never seen A) a Ruben piece dedicated to a sandwich or B) a really plump woman in any of his works (well, Eve looked a little full figured in “The Fall of Man”).
So the tie-in is a stretch you say? Consider this: The Reuben is a high-calorie, high-fat, chubby, layered sandwich leading to, if consumed regularly, Rubenesque chubby layers peeking out of the top of your skinny jeans.
Enter the Reuben Casserole.
This answer to your corned beef leftovers packs all the punch of its namesake, but with fewer fat grams and calories. It is also super easy to make and will save you from doing that assembly line thing at the hot stove, grilling, flipping and saying, ‘OK. Who wants the next Reuben?”
Recommended Stories For You
Saints preserve us! Who needs that the day after green beer when you have woken up with a Rubenesque head?
6 slices of rye bread, cubed
2 cups of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
11⁄2 cups – 2 cups cooked corned beef, sliced into strips
3⁄4 cups Russian dressing
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 400°. Spread bread cubes in 13×9 inch baking pan. Spread corned beef over bread, followed by sauerkraut. Pour dressing over all. Spray one-side of foil with non-stick cooking spray and cover casserole, spray side down.
Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and remove foil. Top with cheese and return to oven for 10 minutes. Serve.
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)