Tahoe Chief’s Corner: A thank you, and introduction, to the community
May 12, 2016
On behalf of the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District, I would like to take this opportunity to thank our community, the Fire District and our board of directors for giving me the opportunity to serve as our Interim Fire Chief. I'd like to share with you a little bit about myself and my professional background.
I was born in Reno and raised in Incline Village and attended Incline Village Public Schools from elementary school through high school. I started with the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District in 1991 as a seasonal and volunteer firefighter. In 1993, I went to work for Cal Fire, also as a seasonal firefighter. In 1995, I came back to NLTFPD as a dispatcher.
After working in dispatch for a year, I became a firefighter in 1996. In 2001, I was promoted to Engineer, and then in 2007, I was promoted to Captain. After serving as Captain for two years, I was promoted to Battalion Chief in 2009, and in 2014 I became Assistant Fire Chief. It is with great honor to now serve as Interim Fire Chief.
Growing up here and working at North Lake Tahoe Fire for over 20 years, I have experienced and seen the growth and changes within our community. My family has long standing relationships with families and businesses that have been here since our community was developed in the '60s and '70s.
“One thing is for certain. Change. With change, we learn to adapt and recalibrate depending on what developments are taking place and what is needed.”
Recommended Stories For You
As we look to the future and how we can best serve our community, one thing is for certain. Change. With change, we learn to adapt and recalibrate depending on what developments are taking place and what is needed. It is my desire to progress our Fire District in alliance with our community's needs.
As such, we continue to utilize and collaborate with our neighboring fire districts, land management owners, other first responders and mutual aid partners. Teamwork and collaborating with our partners is what we do best and to that end, we hope that we can offer a more diversified information approach.
Please let us know how we can best serve you. Stop by my office anytime, the door is always open.
"Chief's Corner" is a regular feature from North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District Interim Chief Ryan Sommers, offering information, tips and education material on fire safety, emergency preparedness and other pertinent topics.
Trending In: Opinion
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Law Review: Jim Porter’s recommendations for Nov. 6 area elections
- Amy Berry: Prop 3 critical to California’s water supply
- Don Rogers: Careful what you call crisis
- Perry Norris: Proposition 3 will help water supply, fire prevention in the Sierra Nevada
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges