Village at Squaw Valley to host Snowshoe Thompson dedication celebration
June 23, 2011
SQUAW VALLEY and#8212; The Village at Squaw Valley and Sons of Norway, Snowshoe Thompson Lodge 6-078, are hosting a dedication celebration honoring the Sierra legend Snowshoe Thompson at Squaw Valley USA. The ceremony will be June 25, 1 p.m. in the Events Plaza of The Village at Squaw Valley.
The dedication is for the Resortand#8217;s newly acquired, 13-foot copper sculpture of Snowshoe Thompson, created by artist Richard Gill of Nevada City, Calif. The sculpture depicts one of historyand#8217;s legendary characters who carried the mail through Sierra snows from Placerville, Calif. to Genoa, Nev., for more than 20 winters. A bronze plaque, donated by Sons of Norway, Snowshoe Thompson Lodge of Yuba City, Calif. will be installed honoring this Norwegianand#8217;s place in California history.
The event program will include a brief history of Snowshoe Thompson and a reading of Gilland#8217;s poem, Norwegian dancing and instruction provided by the Kropps, Norwegian singing by Phil Walker and a special performance by Snowshoe Thompson impersonator, Steve Hale.
For further information please call 530-584-6266.
Trending In: Opinion
- Coming soon: a theater near you – Truckee Art Haus on track for downtown
- Truckee man accused of raping teen
- Rally for Rasta Stevie: Tahoe community comes together to support self-described ski bum, emcee
- Local skiing legend Mancuso announces pregnancy
- Tahoe Top 5: Animal species you might not know inhabit the Tahoe region