Plan to correct mentally ill housing presented to Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval
After inspecting 142 Community Based Living Arrangement homes last weekend, the head of Nevada’s Health and Human Services says none of the residents had to be removed because of immediate health or safety risks.
But Richard Whitley advised Gov. Brian Sandoval a number of providers were put on 10-day and 30-day corrective plans. He said corrective plans for the program call for numerous changes and improvements to fix problems that have been well known for nearly two years.
CBLA homes are state-supported community living residences for mentally ill adults.
Auditors found serious violations in many of the homes, violations that have persisted for years in some cases. That prompted Sen. Ben Kieckhefer, R-Reno, to comment the state was “basically paying slumlords to warehouse mental illness.”
Whitley’s proposed corrective action plan points out poor home inspections by health staff, “have resulted in undocumented deficiencies, lack of corrective action and continued proliferation of unsafe and unsanitary conditions.” The 30-day correction plan calls for mandatory staff training and better documentation of unsafe practices, medication management and overall quality of life issues.
It also calls for an evaluation of whether it would make more sense to have health care quality and compliance conduct those investigations and monitor those homes. That way, case workers would no longer be responsible for both placing clients and inspecting the homes.
It says the state should create tiered sanctions for infractions from the minor problems to suspension or revocation of certification.
The plan calls for training and requirements to ensure staff in the homes can communicate with the clients. Auditors said in several cases, the staff at homes was unable to speak English well enough to deal with the clients.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
As of Thursday morning, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nevada County had reached 5,159. There are 98 new cases since July 16, indicating a 2% increase over the last week.