Police: Man started fire in own warehouse
January 6, 2004
A man who owns several properties in Truckee and North Tahoe was cited Monday on suspicion of starting a fire inside a West River Street warehouse to melt the snow off the roof, according to police reports.
Oliver Henrikson was cited by Truckee police for a health and safety code violation after he reportedly started a fire in a dumpster in his West River Street warehouse without proper ventilation, said Truckee police Sgt. Ted Bier.
The Truckee Fire Protection District was dispatched to the scene at 12:05 p.m. after they received a call that heavy smoke was coming from the building, said Gene Welch, fire district public safety and information officer.
Fire crews evacuated the adjacent Western Nevada Supply building, and Henrikson and employees of the supply company were on the scene while firefighter extinguished the blaze, according to fire reports.
There was no damage to the building.
“People should not have open fires in enclosed spaces,” Welch said. “That includes barbecues inside garages. It could be hazardous other than just the fire danger. It could also emit carbon monoxide, the silent killer.”