Power restored to most homes near Soda Springs; officials still monitor propane leaks
SODA SPRINGS, Calif. andamp;#8212; Utility and emergency officials continued to monitor homes Tuesday in a neighborhood west of Truckee after multiple propane leaks sent flammable vapors into the air last week.Gene Welch, a spokesman for Truckee Fire Protection District, said Tuesday afternoon there have been no injuries or explosions from the leaks near the Serene Lakes subdivision in Soda Springs; however, as many 450 homes in the area were without power due for days to poles snapped by heavy snow, although power was restored to most homes Tuesday, a day earlier than expected.andamp;#8220;What I have learned is that all residents in Serene Lakes with, exception of those with gas leaks on their property, have all had their power restored,andamp;#8221; Welch said.As of Tuesday afternoon, Welch said he was still awaiting word from Placer Countyandamp;#8217;s department of health on the number of homes evacuated, those still without power and the number of residents who havenandamp;#8217;t been able to return to their homes.Placer County reported a total six known propane leaks in the area on Monday. Truckee Fire estimates the cause to be heavy snowpack placing high pressure on gas lines, with known leaks occurring on the following streets: Palisade Road, Baxter Street, Spruce Road, Alpine Way and Tamarack Way.Robert Miller, a Placer County spokesman, said Monday afternoon there is still no timeline to halt the flow of gasses.andamp;#8220;Until the snow starts to lighten, this is going to go on for awhile,andamp;#8221; Miller said.In an effort to control the hazards, a command post has been set up at Serene Lakes Fire Station 98 on 7300 Short Road. Serene Lakes County Water District has also provided office space and a staging area for Truckee Fire and Placer County officials, as well as PGandamp;E, which has had as many as 75 people on scene at a time to help mitigate the power outages.According to Truckee Fire, residents in Serene Lakes who have lost their power but do not smell gas should notify PGandamp;E representative Dave Hinshaw at the command post, or by calling 800-743-5002; the residence will be added to the list of homes in need of reconnected power.However, if residents smell gas, they should leave the home immediately without turning on or off any light switches or power. Call 911 from outside the residence to report the gas odor and wait a safe distance away for emergency personnel to arrive. If a propane tank is dug out where residents can safely shut the gas off at the tank, they should do so, according to Truckee Fire.Digging operations will begin in an effort to stop the leaks, officials said, only after tests show safe non-explosive air levels.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STATELINE, Nev. — The United States Golf Association recently announced that Edgewood Tahoe Resort will host one of 109 local qualifying tournaments for the 2021 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines.