Propane fire consumes Big Bend residence | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Propane fire consumes Big Bend residence

A fire destroyed a Big Bend home Friday afternoon after a propane line leaked and erupted into flames.

The gas line had apparently been damaged by snow falling from the roof. Once the escaping propane ignited, it continued to feed the fire until officials could locate the tank, dig it out, and shut it off, said Gene Welch, the Truckee Fire Protection District’s public safety and information officer.

“In this case, there was not adequate protection provided for the piping and regulator,” Welch said. “People need to make sure the second stage regulator is located in a protected location where snow and ice coming off a roof cannot strike it.”



Three fire engines and an ambulance from Truckee Fire and one Calfire engine responded to the fire at approximately 4 p.m.

The unoccupied residence was engulfed by flames when crews arrived, Welch said.



The fire consumed the residence, but no neighboring properties were damaged, and there were no injuries from the fire, Welch said.

Property damage was estimated at over $500,000.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User