School deals with walkout aftermath
Following the staged walkout in one Glenshire Elementary School kindergarten class last Monday, some parents continued to express concern over the school district’s plans for a child with alleged behavior problems.
The issue was publicized on two Reno television news programs late last week when parents organized a group meeting to discuss the fate of the student.
Glenshire Elementary School Principal Danny Hyde reported that as of Tuesday, Oct. 31, all 18 students were back in the class.
“I think the parents have all been given the information on the legal procedures we are mandated to follow,” Hyde said Wednesday. “It’s continuing on a positive note. We will continue to monitor the situation to ensure [the classroom] continues to be a safe and productive learning environment for all of the children.”
Hyde said he has met with the majority of the parents in the classroom either in a group or individually. Special education staff are currently following through on the child’s assessments, as requested by the child’s parents, Hyde said. He said the school has committed to hiring an aide to work one-on-one with the child and that person will begin as soon as possible.
“In the meantime, the father of the child is participating in the classroom every day,” Hyde said.
Not all parents are satisfied with how things are being handled.
Evelyn Lombard, whose daughter is in the kindergarten class, said there has been one-on-one counseling with the child for quite some time now, but the child continues to be disruptive. She brought her daughter back to class on Tuesday.
“It went very well,” she said. “But I can certainly see this child demands a lot of attention All we can do at this time is take it day-by-day.”
Lombard said her main frustration is that she believes the school district did not recognize a child with special needs and appropriately plan for the child’s educational plan. She and her husband plan to file a grievance with the state Board of Education for that reason.
“Why did it take pulling kids out of school to have something done?” she said. “I’m very frustrated. The Tahoe-Truckee Unified School District is a strong system. But their number one priority is the budget and their number two priority is the children.”
Specifics about the child’s behavior are confidential.
“The Special Ed department is very involved with the child and the family and has come up with instructional plans,” TTUSD Superintendent Pat Gemma said.
“I believe in the end we will get to where we need to be. It’s unfortunate we got sidetracked by all the politics that was trying to be brought to bear.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The county’s coronavirus caseload rose by 10 on Friday, making 4,022 the new total number of cases.