Smoking in bed blamed in Reno hospital fire | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Smoking in bed blamed in Reno hospital fire

RENO (AP) ” A patient smoking in bed is being blamed for a fire at Renown Regional Medical Center that forced the evacuation of patients on the sixth floor.

Reno fire officials said the fire was reported around midnight Wednesday in the Sierra Tower, which is in an older section of the hospital and is separate from the new, 10-story Tahoe Tower scheduled to open to patients Monday. No sprinklers went off.

Firefighters said a fuse that should have triggered the sprinkler in the room where the fire broke out was covered in soot and failed to activate.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User