South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue: Barbecue briquettes cause small structure fire | SierraSun.com
YOUR AD HERE »

South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue: Barbecue briquettes cause small structure fire

Staff Report
editor@sierrasun.com
SLTFR responded to a structure fire that originated in an outbuilding behind 2649 Kubel Ave.
COURTESY OF SOUTH LAKE TAHOE FIRE RESCUE

South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue is reminding barbecuers to properly extinguish briquettes, after some of the charcoal bricks caused a small structure fire.

SLTFR responded to a structure fire that originated in an outbuilding behind 2649 Kubel Ave., according to a Facebook post Saturday, July 15. The fire was extinguished and the cause was determined to be discarded briquettes left outside near the shed.

That led SLTFR to issue the following statement: “Extinguish your briquettes before you discard them.”

SLTFR also posted the following steps for ensuring that the briquettes are properly disposed of:

Soak the charcoal briquettes in water for 20 minutes to 1 hour.

Wrap the soaked briquettes in a non-combustible material or container.

Place into the regular trash.


Support Local Journalism

 

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Lake Tahoe, Truckee, and beyond make the Sierra Sun's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User