50th Tevis Cup ends in tie
August 2, 2004
Finishing in just under 16 hours (15:59), Jeremy Reynolds and Becky Spencer settled for a tie in the 50th Annual 100-mile Tevis Cup horse race on July 31. Truckee’s Ron Belknap and his horse Kahn-Fection finished 81st with a time of 21:08.
Officially titled the Western States Trail Ride, the Tevis Cup Ride is the oldest modern day endurance ride, having been held annually since 1955.
The ride was first organized by Wendell Robie, an Auburn businessman and devoted rider of the Sierra high country. Many people in the ’50s doubted that any modern-day horse could cover the rugged trail from Lake Tahoe to Auburn in a single day.
Wendell and a few of his friends proved them wrong in August of 1955. He continued to hold the ride annually thereafter and organized the Western States Trail Foundation to preserve the 100-mile trail and the Ride.
The Ride is sanctioned by AERC, the American Endurance Ride Conference.
Each rider who completes the 100-mile course from Tahoe to Auburn within the 24-hour limit and whose mount is judged “fit to continue” is awarded the coveted silver Completion Award Buckle. The Tevis Cup trophy is awarded to the person who completes the 100-Mile One Day course in the shortest amount of time and whose horse is in sound condition and “fit to continue.”
Recommended Stories For You
The Tevis Cup was named for Lloyd Tevis (1824-1899) by his grandson Will Tevis, a prominent San Francisco businessman and early benefactor of the Ride, and was first awarded in 1959 to Nick Mansfield, riding Buffalo Bill, an 11-year-old TB Cross gelding.
The other major trophy, the Haggin Cup, is awarded to the rider whose horse is in the “most superior physical condition” of the first 10 horses to cross the finish line. The Haggin Cup, named for James Ben Ali Haggin (1821-1914), was first awarded in 1964 to Paige Harper, riding his six-year-old Arabian gelding, Keno.
[For complete list of 2004 Tevis Cup ride times, visit
For a complete list of winners in Tevis Cup history, visit
For more information, visit
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee’s Flynn finishes runner-up at state golf tourney
- Finishing strong: Bellon surpasses 3K career passing yards; Wolverines close regular season with Sierra Bowl
- Truckee football clinches first-round bye
- Truckee golf sends two players to state tourney
- Mercogliano surpasses 5,000 career passing yards in North Tahoe victory
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: North Tahoe Public Utility District (VIDEO)