Alder Creek runners advance to regional Junior Olympics
November 25, 2014
After capping the season with a Tah-Neva League championship in October, the Alder Creek Middle School sixth- and seventh-grade cross-country team sent five athletes to compete in the USATF Pacific Association District Junior Olympic meet in Folsom.
Led by coach Dwight Smith, Isabella Terrazas, Carly Davis, Hana Mazur, Amelia Swanson and Caitlin Smith combined for a second-place finish against large year-round teams from across Northern California.
The result qualified the Alder Creek runners to compete in the USATF Region 14 Junior Olympics on Sunday, Nov. 30, also in Folsom.
In addition, four of the girls qualified individually in the 3-kilometer run. Terrazas placed fourth with a time of 11:47, Davis finished eighth in 12:18, Mazur was 13th in 12:32 and Swanson 19th in 12:49.
Top individual runners and teams from the USATF Region 14 Junior Olympics will be eligible to run in the USATF National Junior Olympics in South Carolina in December.
Trending In: Sports
- Injured skier rescued off Jobs Peak after avalanche
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Eastern U.S. snowboard company lands at Squaw Valley as part of wild ride through country
- Squaw Valley’s Cashman picks up Nor-Am win at Snow King
- Truckee girls, North Tahoe boys open postseason