All-League soccer | Truckee, North Tahoe players honored
December 1, 2011
A number of Truckee and North Tahoe soccer players were honored with All-Sierra League recognition, led by the Wolverines’ Johnny Zarate and Shauna Day’s top selections.
Zarate was voted Forward of the Year on the boys’ side and Day was voted Midfielder of the Year on the girls’ side. The awards are voted on by coaches in the Northern 3A Sierra League.
In boys’ All-League voting, North Tahoe senior Felipe Rodriguez and Truckee senior Ben Brown each were named to the first team as defenders, while Truckee’s Nash McMullen was named to the first team as a midfielder and Jesse Fereira as a utility player.
Truckee’s Jose Sarabia was voted to the All-League second team at midfield, as were teammates Michael Reynaud and Ignacio Diaz on defense and Austin Simonpietri at utility. For the Lakers, Riley McCarthy made the second team as a forward and Nico Monforte as a midfielder.
North Tahoe’s Lucas Early and Trevor Semmens and Truckee’s Reed McMullen and David Martinez all received honorable mention recognition.
Among the highest awards given, the state champion Railroaders cleaned up aside from Zarate’s honor, as Edgar Casillas of Sparks was voted Midfielder of the Year, Noe Espana of Sparks was Defensive Player of the Year and Frank Avilla of Sparks was Coach of the Year.
Recommended Stories For You
While Day earned the highest honor as a midfielder in girls’ voting, Haley Derr of Incline was voted Forward of the Year and South Tahoe’s Taylor Embry was Defensive Player of the Year. South Tahoe’s Chris DeLeon was named Coach of the Year.
North Tahoe’s Alicia Pieper was voted to the All-League first team as a defender, while Truckee’s Ali Hained was voted to the first team as a midfielder.
Truckee’s Serena Dill and North Tahoe’s Sammi Schulte both made the second team as forwards, and the Lakers’ Angela Wood as a utility player.
The Lakers’ Elizabeth Buhler, Emily Pieper and Kami Abi-Nader and Truckee’s Olivia Duner, Maison Power and Alex Mezger all received honorable mention.
Trending In: Sports
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- North Tahoe girls sweep podium at Alpine Meadows (GALLERY)
- Truckee snowboarder Toby Miller claims fourth at world championships
- Truckee boys pick up pair of wins ahead of season finale
- Truckee state baseball, soccer champions honored
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- UPDATE: Court rules in favor of construction of Raley’s Grocery store
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- THE SUN NOW: Live coverage from the newsroom (Live Scanner)
- Another storm headed for Lake Tahoe this week