Alpine ski racing | Vonn wins again; Mancuso second in Lake Louise super G
December 3, 2012
LAKE LOUISE, Alberta – Led by their superstar, the defending champion U.S. women’s speed team made a statement in Lake Louise this past weekend.
Lindsey Vonn ran her win streak in Lake Louise to seven straight with a victory in an Audi FIS Alpine World Cup super G on Sunday, while teammate Julia Mancuso of Squaw Valley was runner-up to complete a one-two U.S. sweep of the weekend.
“I’m just happy – it was a good run and I’m excited to start the season off with a podium,” Mancuso said. “I had confidence from skiing well here in the past. The downhill went pretty well for me, so it was just a matter of getting going.”
Vonn won all three races on the weekend, including a pair of downhills on Friday and Saturday. Truckee’s Stacey Cook placed second in both downhills.
With the dominant sweep at the Canadian venue, the U.S. women racked up a staggering 722 World Cup points over three days.
“Every athlete has their favorite hill where they feel confident and comfortable. I know the hill like the back of my hand and have confidence knowing I have won here in the past,” said Vonn.
Recommended Stories For You
Vonn’s win marked the 56th of her career, placing her alone in second on the all-time victory list behind Annemarie Moser-Proell’s 62. Vonn also became the fourth woman in history to earn 100 podiums.
“This weekend was a huge boost for my confidence,” she said. “I was definitely feeling extremely low after being in the hospital and my poor result in Aspen. But I knew if there was a place to turn it around, it was Lake Louise. So I just tried to get myself every opportunity to rest and recover for the races this weekend.”
Five U.S. women cracked the top 30 on the snowy, foggy super G track. Leanne Smith was the early leader and finished eighth, while Laurenne Ross was 13th and Cook 29th.
The women travel to St. Moritz, Switzerland, next weekend for a super combined, super G and giant slalom.
Trending In: Sports
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)
- Truckee’s Ryan Funk wins first Junior SUP World Championship
- Dialysis doesn’t stop Truckee’s Josalyn Brown
- Third annual Captain Nordic Day at Auburn Ski Club set for Saturday
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee council increases in-lieu housing fee for developers