Auburn Ski Club biathletes on the rise
January 8, 2016
The United States Biathlon Association International Competition Committee (ICC) named Peter Carroll of Truckee to the Youth/Junior World Championship Biathlon Team.
Carrol — of the Auburn Ski Club (ASC) Training Center and Sugar Bowl Academy — will be a member of the four-person youth (under 19) team competing in Cheile Gradiste, Romania, in the Youth World Championships from Jan. 27 to Feb. 2.
Carroll qualified for the team with second-, fourth- and eighth-place finishes in the youth/junior trials held at the Anchorage biathlon venue in Alaska last week.
According to the organizers and biathlon coaches from across the country, this was one of the largest and most competitive fields of youth biathletes to compete in the trials. Carroll has been training year-round at the ASC Training Center on Donner Summit with coach and Olympic Biathlete Glenn Jobe for the past three years in preparation for this level of competition.
"It was exciting to see how well Peter skied and shot in the races in some very difficult conditions, including warm temperatures, and strong winds and rain, for most of the races," Jobe said. "I'm so pleased he's been named to this team and now, for the first time, has the opportunity to race in Europe at the highest level of youth biathlon competition."
The ASC Training Center has the only Olympic-distance, year-round biathlon range in the Western United States, and the biathlon program has produced successful results from its athletes this year. Through a series of qualifying races over the past 10 days, three ASC athletes have been named to travel with U.S. Biathlon teams for international competitions.
Recommended Stories For You
In addition to Carroll, ASC senior biathlete and former Far West Elite team skier Patrick Johnson and senior biathlete Joanne Reid, a former Far West junior skier and new addition to the ASC Biathlon program, were both named to the USBA IBU Cup Team that will compete in Europe in January and February.
The Auburn Ski Club Biathlon Program is open to all athletes ages 10 and up, with both winter and summer programs available. For more information go to AuburnSkiClub.com or call 530-426-3313.
— This article was submitted to Sports Editor Sylas Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- World-class granite: Local climbing outfits help to access Truckee-Donner’s unparalleled routes
- Squaw Valley Kids Adventures Games returns for fifth year
- Tahoe City’s Kimble, Truckee’s Bohm win Squaw Valley Half Marathon
- Truckee River to remain low near Tahoe City
- Eastbound I-80 to close east of Truckee on Tuesday
- North Tahoe High School celebrates 64 students earning diplomas
- UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe PD asking for public’s help IDing suspect in deadly shooting
- Lost hiker rescued in Desolation Wilderness shows importance of being prepared
- Bicyclist dead after being struck by vehicle on State Route 89