Banged-up Travis Ganong earns fourth top-10 finish of season
February 1, 2016
GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN, Germany — A bruised and banged up Travis Ganong of Squaw Valley led five Americans into the top 30 with a sixth-place finish in the Audi FIS Ski World Cup on the Kandahar downhill track Saturday.
"I wasn't really sure I was going to be able to ski this week with my knee — I had a bone bruise after Kitzbuehel," Ganong said. "I'm just really happy that I pushed through and raced today because it's an awesome result."
Norway's Aleksander Aamodt Kilde stepped in for injured teammate Aksel Lund Svindal, who blew his knee last week in Kitzbuehel, and came out of the 30th start position to win his first career World Cup downhill. Slovenia's Bostjan Kline was second and Switzerland's Beat Feuz was third.
For the Americans, Steven Nyman finished 10th, Andrew Weibrecht tied for 17th, Jared Goldberg was 20th and Wiley Maple cracked the top 30 in downhill for the first time this season in 23rd. Tommy Biesemeyer along with Squaw Valley skiers Bryce Bennett and Marco Sullivan DNFed.
"Today (the Kandahar downhill track) surprised us," Nyman said. "The first training run, it was really soft and warm, but it bound up and got frozen and was brutal. It's an endurance track. Even though it's only about two minutes, it's bumpy and dark the whole way down. And it turns, a lot. It's a non-stop fight."
For Ganong, his career-best result in Garmisch marked his fourth top-10 finish of the season.
Trending In: Sports
- America’s greatest biathlete holds camp at Auburn Ski Club
- Legendary Coach Harry Marra leads Truckee track camp
- Leipheimer and Truckee’s Julie Young claim Tahoe Trail 100 titles
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Breaking down Lake Tahoe’s best kayak trip along West Shore
- Two dead, one critically injured in Truckee airplane crash
- Carson City woman admits to fatal DUI at Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: A second passenger dead, 1 in critical condition due to plane crash this morning (VIDEO)
- Ferguson Fire in Yosemite filling Lake Tahoe Basin with smoke
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots